Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Good Friday March 30, 2018 Pepper Choplin's Cantata "JOURNEY THROUGH THE LORD'S PRAYER"

CALL TO WORSHIP (from Psalm 69)
Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. I am weary with my crying; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God. Do not let those who hope in you be put to shame because of me, O LORD God of hosts; do not let those who seek you be dishonored because of me. It is for your sake that I have borne reproach. As for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love, answer me. With your faithful help rescue me.
Deliver me from my enemies.
CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER
Wondrous God, we cannot begin to comprehend the measure of your love for humankind. We bow our heads humbly before you, confessing that this day, more than any other, mystifies us and confounds us. The willingness of Jesus, the Beloved One, to give his life so that humankind could forge a new and different relationship with YOU takes a lifetime to understand. Remind us, O most Holy God, how Jesus’ death launched us into a new way of thinking about YOU and our part in YOUR kingdom. Help us embrace the truth that it is through Jesus our hearts and souls are reconnected with YOURS. In him, YOU sought to release us from the burden of our own regrets. Such grace, mercy, and love is so amazing, we cannot fathom it. You have freed us from shame and sorrow over past mistakes, lifting away every weight that fetters us to an unforgiving world. You have cleared away the rubble of sin, and made a space in the vault of the human heart for your Christ to reside. As we look upon the cross, we realize we have left behind regrets that haunt us , things we need never remember again. What wondrous love it this, O my soul!? Our Abba Father in heaven, HOLY is YOUR name. May YOUR kingdom come and YOUR will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day the food we need to be strong in service to YOU and YOUR creation. Forgive us our wrongs and help us to forgive those who have wronged us. Keep us from all temptation and all evil we pray, for YOURS is the kingdom, YOURS is the power, and YOURS is the glory, forever. Amen.
OFFERTORY THOUGHT
The definition of Sacrifice is, “a giving up of something valuable or important for somebody or something else considered to be of more value or importance. This is its first definition in the Encarta Dictionary. I guess maybe the gospel writer, John, was correct when he wrote that God valued the “kosmos,” more than his own divinity. That is to say, God valued more than life and breath the universe, the arrangement of the stars, the heavenly hosts, the earth, and humanity itself, loving all beyond measure, even those who walk in darkness and remain alienated from God. Amazing isn’t it.
UNISON PRAYER
Gracious God, on this night of nights, we offer not only our gifts, but ourselves to love and serve you. The path that Jesus walked on this Good Friday was the path of sacrifice for the sake of all. Teach us to walk in the footsteps of Jesus, along the true way of discipleship. Bless the gifts we offer in love to the furtherance of your Kingdom. In the name of the Christ we pray. Amen.



No comments: