Thursday, November 19, 2015

November 22, 2015 "DAVID'S LAMENT AND THANKSGIVING

CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER
Wondrous and Eternal God, if we think about it, we would be right in saying: “Everyday ought to be Thanksgiving Day.” We are most fortunate to live where we live, enjoying the freedoms that come with this particular geography. However, we give you thanks today for more than this good fortune. We give you thanks for your creativity and your presence, for the gifts of human thought and imagination, the ability to dream, to move, to see, to hear and to speak. We confess how easy it is to take for granted our moving parts, until they start slowing down, and aren’t as swift as they once were. Remind us, ever so gently, dearest Lord, that only you are eternal. Help us take advantage of the opportunity to thank you each and every day for the incredible someones and the wonderful somethings in our lives. In the name of the Christ we pray. Amen.
OFFERING INVITATION
In the classic movie “White Christmas” Bing Crosby sang: “When I’m worried and I can’t sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep, and I fall asleep counting my blessings. When my bankroll is getting small I think of when I had none at all, and I fall asleep counting my blessings.” In 1897 Johnson Oatman wrote a hymn called Count Your Blessings. Included in 195 hymnals — not ours — the first verse reads: “When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed, when you are discouraged, thinking all is lost, count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.” Why not take the week to count the blessings of your life. The exercise is bound to inspire an attitude of gratitude.
UNISON OFFERTORY PRAYER
Glorious God, grateful for all of your blessings, these gifts assert our longing to be effective as Christ’s body at work in the world. Together we are transforming ourselves and the church as the world around us longs for healing. Guide our vision, our hearts and our efforts, in service to you, we pray in the name of the Christ. Amen.

No comments: