Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: "THE UGLY TRUTH"

Anyone, ages 18-50 (in my case a tad older) remembers Gerard Butler as the hunk with 6 pack abs in “The 300.” Many remember his immortal words “We are Sparta”-- I think one of the few lines actually spoken by anyone in the film. I must confess a repetitive eagerness to watch Gerard Butler on the Big Screen and, at the first opportunity, went to see his latest film “The Ugly Truth” co-starring the delightfully refreshing Katherine Heigl. I am by no means a prude, but the first thing I must say in this review is: THIS IS NOT A FILM FOR TEENAGERS! It is rated R and rightly so. I don’t care what kind of parental consent you give teenagers do not and cannot find sex FUNNY. Only those who know the marvels and disappointments of sexual relationships can appreciate this film. I must say I laughed out loud, blushed and chortled, along with most of the other men and women in the audience. We laughed at the indignities our bodies are subjected to when it comes to our physiology and swooned as the couple danced to a Latin Rhythm. Not to diminish Meg Ryan’s famous restaurant scene in “When Harry Met Sally,” but Katherine Heigl deserves an Oscar for her “physical comedy” in the restaurant scene of this film. The bawdy, rough edged, matter of fact humor of “Mike” and the obsessive, controlling, foraging for the perfect match of “Abby” speak volumes in this bright and sexy film about how we humans seek to be, and want to be in relationship. The professional reviewers may have given it 3 stars, but anything that makes me laugh and smile for 96 minutes is worth 4 hearts.

No comments: