Saturday, January 16, 2016

Newsletter Article January 15, 2016 "TALKING WITH GOD" (Template for Conversation included)


TALKING TO GOD


Many of us love to read the Psalms, but perhaps haven’t thought about them as conversations with God. We know the ones we really like, because they sound like love letters to God. There are others we are not so fond of because they sound more akin to a rant than a rational conversation. For example, we like Psalm 84, because it soothing, assuring, comforting all the way through: “How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of hosts! My soul longs, indeed it faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.” Now Psalm 35, on the other hand, is not particularly inviting to ponder for its vengeful tenor: “Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me! ...Let them be put to shame and dishonor who seek after my life.” But the Psalms are conversations, songs, and pleadings addressed to God that reflect every human mood and attitude. They are sometimes thoughtful, sometimes spontaneous, and each and every one of them is a permission slip and prescription for us to converse with God no matter what mood we happen to be in.
Last Sunday I mentioned I had spoken to an individual who asked me to pray for her, which could mean she was asking that I offer a prayer on her behalf. There are those who may think that the prayers of the ordained carry more weight than everyone else. There are those who think that the ordained know the right words, or the right formula, that promises to get the prayer job done most effectively. I asked the young woman if she, herself, prayed. Her immediate response was to bow her head turning her face downward and her head away from me as if embarrassed by the question. She said: “Well I ask God to forgive me.” I encouraged her not to be afraid to have regular conversations with God, and not to worry too much about the content, because God is able to discern the intent.
We started our Gratitude Campaign on January 10th and I thought to share with you my fill-in-the-blank Gratitude Template one more time, but I have decided, instead to share a fill-in-the-blank “Talking to God Template.” Let this serve as a helpful guide for conversing with God.
Blessings,

Rev. Amanda

No comments: