Thursday, August 30, 2012

August 26, 2012 "FINDING YOUR GOSPEL FOOTWEAR"

CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER
Wondrous God, we take a deep breath, breathing into our bodies your essential presence. We are grateful and we know that we are not presumptuous in our thanksgiving and our praise, because you keep your promises. From the beginning of all things, you have kept faith and covenant with us. You have always sought us out, beckoned to us, called to us, held out your hand to us. You became covenant in the person of Jesus, a hands-on savior taking on the world, to teach us and ultimately show us the better way. In your final hours you said: “Peace I leave you; my peace I give to you, not as the world gives.” Give us the courage to be the good news. Help us get our feet in gear to proclaim the gospel of peace in this troubled world for the cry for peace and justice echoes down the centuries in the voices of the lost, the abused, the imprisoned and the oppressed. Hear our prayer, O Lord, in the name of the Christ. Amen.

PREPARING FOR THE OFFERING
The other day, a friend showed me his selection of counterfeit men’s and women’s Rolex watches for sale. I bought a counterfeit Rolex in Hawaii about 20 years ago, but I ended up giving it to my brother since it was a man’s watch and just too heavy for me to wear. My friend assured me that his counterfeits are automatic with the trademark sweep hand. I decided against buying a new fake Rolex, for all sorts of reasons not the least of which is, the fact that I am armed with numerous devices eager to remind just what time it is. Thank God we don’t need Rolexes to remind us, it is never too late to give and pledge our support to Christ’s church.

UNISON OFFERTORY PRAYER
Glorious God it feels good to bring our tithes and offerings before you. The love and grace you bestow upon us is the genuine article and so too is our commitment to live in response to your gracious gift. Our prayer is that all of the children of creation can come to know you and experience the abundance of your love and mercy. May our offerings help to bring them ever closer. In the name of the Christ we pray. Amen.

No comments: