Monday, January 11, 2010

Prayer for the Sermon January 3, 2010 "STAR TREKKING"

Dear Lord, our most loving and merciful God, we cannot offer thanks enough, or praise enough for the gift we have received in Jesus Christ. Like mother Mary we shall treasure in our hearts all that we see and all that we hear. We shall keep close in our memory how you desired to be born like us, one among us, one with us. We shall, like the wise men from the East, follow your lead on life’s journey of discovery. We cannot know what awaits us all along the way or how long the journey will take, so help us, gracious God, to travel light carrying with us just the essentials: loving and faithful hearts and open minds. These are the gifts we bring to offer at the manger of the newborn Prince of Peace. May they be sufficient to his need and to our salvation. In the name of the Christ we pray. Amen.

OFFERTORY THOUGHT

I realized last Monday that I resolve to do things all year long. These daily resolutions usually begin with the words “Now that” and contain the word, could, should or ought to somewhere in the middle of the sentence: “Now that the weather is cooler I could, should or ought to take a walk around the park.” Since realizing my penchant for resolving to do things I found myself fantasizing about the resolutions I would like to make: “Now that I have dug up the buried treasure in my back yard I could, should, ought to give a million dollars to the church.”




No comments: